When the sneezes and itchy eyes are making you crazy, there are a few holistic things you can do without having to turn to medication. I’ve incorporated all of the suggestions below into my own life with huge success! I hope they help you too.
1. One of the best things you can do to ease allergy symptoms is to stay hydrated. The recommendation is to drink one half of your body weight in fluid ounces of water a day. (ex. If you’re 200 lbs, you should drink 100 fluid ounces of water a day)
2. Use a neti pot to flush out the sinuses of irritations and allergens. I can’t recommend this enough! A neti pot will last years and you can easily make your saline solution by dissolving 1 teaspoon of himalayan or sea salt in a quart of boiled water. Let the mixture cool completely before putting it in your neti pot. Then you tilt your head to the side and pour the water though one side of your nose and let it drain out the other. Repeat the process on the other side. You may need a few trys to get the hang of it, but it’s definitely worth it! Always make sure to add the salt to the water or it you’ll experience a burning sensation. Neti pots have been used for centuries, but if you’d like less fuss there are a bunch of saline rinses on the market now. Just make sure there aren’t any nasty chemicals added to the rinse.
3. Enjoy some local honey every day! The idea is that consuming local honey with help your body adapt to the allergens in your environment. Make sure the hives stay in your area all year long to experience the maximum benefits. Just a teaspoon a day of unprocessed honey will do the trick. If you are experiencing lots of allergy symptoms, do it a few times a day. It’s great to do year round, but definitely start a minimum of 6 weeks before allergy season kicks in.
4. There are essential oils that really help to ease symptoms. Lavender Essential Oil works wonders with both respiratory and skin allergies as it’s a natural antihistamine. Peppermint Essential Oil is cooling, anti inflammatory and analgesic, which soothes and calms. Lemon Essential Oil is amazing by itself as it increases blood circulation which helps to clear respiratory tract and prevents congestion. It really shines in combination with Lavender and Peppermint Oils to hit all the major allergen issues full force. Keep a blend of the oils with you to inhale when you’re feeling poorly or try any of the items from my custom blended Allergy Relief Collection.
5. Sometimes the bottom line to help with allergies is to change your diet. Dairy is a huge culprit for a lot of people suffering from terrible allergies. So is wheat. If all else fails, try and elimination diet to see if your issues might be food related. The most common food allergies are:
- Milk and dairy products.
- Shellfish (shrimp, lobster & crab)
- Peanuts and other legumes
There are lots of books related to this topic plus tons of information online. My recommendation would be to start with eliminating dairy products. Substitute regular cow’s milk with almond milk, butter with Earth Balance or another soy and dairy free item and regular cheese with the many amazing vegan versions available now and you will probably see a huge improvement. It’s not easy at first, but from my own experience I felt so much better when I broke up with dairy.
I hope one or more of these tips help you on your journey to be allergy symptom free! Please send me an email if you’d like more information or to let me know how it worked for you.
Love and Sunshine~
twig leaf flower is an organic vegan aromatherapy company founded in Dallas, PA. I’m passionate about aromatherapy and herbalism and can’t wait for you to see the amazing difference truly natural products will make in your life. I offer a variety of holistic items including lotions, bath soaks, lip balms and diffusion blends, along with collections devoted to children and pets. I’m always adding new blends and I’m sure you’ll find something you’ll love. If you have any comments or questions, please feel free to contact me personally email@example.com